Moving to a new house is one of the most stressful things to do in your lifetime. Once you have decided to move and your moving date is approaching, there are some areas to consider to ensure that your move goes smoothly. Below are some areas that are worth noting before you start:
The distance you move will affect the final cost, but it won’t really make a difference to the way you move as you will still have to load and upload the same way.
Good planning is key to a successful move as it will cut the cost and time spent if you have planned it properly in the first place.
The areas to plan are:
- Packing: make sure you pack items room by room and don’t forget to label the boxes so that you know where they going to be put at the other end. Be realistic as you may need more boxes than you think, so make sure you plan this part carefully.
- Delicate Items: as above, use boxes to pack delicate items like glass wear and mirrors. These will need wrapping and packing into the van last as if you pack them first they could get crushed and you’ll end up with breakages.
- Heavy Equipment: if you have heavy equipment in your house, you may need some machinery to help you lift it. In this instance, it maybe worth contacting a NZ forklift company as they have many forklifts variants available.
- Route Plan: it may sound like a simple thing to do but planning the perfect route for your move is very important. If you have a large truck, you will need to make sure that the roads are big enough to accommodate the size.
One area that most people hate about moving home is having to change all the addresses over. It is a really good idea to make a list and cross them off as each establishment is contacted.
Make sure that you inform the school office of your change of address if your children are staying at the same school. If your children are moving to a new school, advise both schools of the new address.
Take meter readings of water, gas and electricity for the new and old home. Make sure they are aware of the moving date. Also check the supply of water, gas and electricity is on at the new house so that you have the amenities available as soon as you move in.
It is important that you remember to change our address at your doctors. If you are moving away from your current doctors, make sure that you provide them with a forwarding address and that you register with a doctor in your new location. It is also worth pointing out that if you have pets that visit the local veterinary surgery, you will need to relocate the veterinary surgery that you use.
Don’t forget to update your vehicle registration documents. This includes updating your service records, insurance records and also your driving licence details. Remember to do this for all vehicles that will be in your household. Use this website to help you switch everything over easily.
As with any move there may be companies that you forget to inform or that you are unable to advice of a change of address. In this case it is worth using a mail forwarding service so that your mail can be redirected to your new address. Make sure you contact the NZ post to change your address and set up forwarding as applicable..
Depending on where you are moving to, you may have to consider some form of mechanical lifting equipment such as used rough terrain forklifts. These types of forklifts are able to go over varying levels of terrain which is far better than the standard forklift truck that can only really operate on flat ground. If you have a number of heavy items on your move it is well worth considering hiring one of these to help.
When you have decided to move, the above factors should always be taken into consideration. However, one pressing question that always arises is should you get a removal firm in to transport your goods or should you try and do it alone and save costs. We will now take a look at the advantages to both:
- Hiring a Removal Firm: getting the professionals in is obviously going to be more expensive, however a professional outfit will be fully experienced in moving your goods from one location to another. They will have all the lifting equipment, storage facilities, boxes, guide ropes and the person power to swiftly move your belongings. If you’ve got containers to move, using a hiab transport option in Auckland, for example, will make it a lot easier for you. They will be fully insured so that you have some peace of mind that if any damage occurs, you will be fully covered by their insurance policy.
- Moving Yourself: this is by far the cheapest option. Aside of this advantage the other advantages are that you can move at your own pace and organise how you want to do it yourself. You also have no restrictions of the distance to where you can transport your things to. Although it is cheaper to move yourself one aspect that you have to bear in mind is that you are not insured and you will therefore have to pay for any damages out of your own pocket.
It is clear from the above that planning and preparation is the key to a stress free and efficient house move. Remember that moving does not need to be a headache as long as you give yourself plenty of time and when feeling stressed, stop and think about living in your new home.